Since the early 1980s, personal fitness, and fitness culture, have gradually become more and more popular. One form of fitness that has become particularly popular is indoor cycling.
Indoor cycling is a good form of exercise, it is not high impact, therefore less likely to damage joints, and unlike outdoor cycling, where riders have to deal with the hazards of the open road and the discomforts of inclement weather, indoor cycling can be done in the comfort and security of a person’s home.
There are two types of indoor exercise bikes, straightforward mechanical ones, that are not linked to tech in any way, and tech-assisted bikes, which come with a screen that enables the user to cycle along an imaginary outdoor route in different locations anywhere around the world, as well as to be guided by a trainer or even to join in with other indoor cyclists in group training sessions.
Nordic Track is one of the companies that provide comprehensive technology-assisted exercise bike systems, and here we will look at one of their bikes, the Nordic Track S15i studio cycle.
NordicTrack Commercial S15i Features
This is the most basic of three models that Nordic Track produce, the others being the S22i and the S27i.
The S15i is smaller and lighter than the other two models and is thus better for someone living in a small apartment, or in a house with a small gym or exercise room. Its features are:
- Measures 61” H x 56” L x 22” W;
- A 14” touchscreen with high definition;
- An initial 30-day iFIT membership, linking you to the iFIT training sessions, but you will need to sign up for a monthly subscription after that for the membership to continue;
- Can adjust automatically to incline (uphill) and decline (downhill) resistance settings made by a remote trainer;
- Has “magnetic resistance”, an electromagnet is raised or lowered to slow or speed up the flywheel as it is being pedaled;
- Smooth, quiet pedalling;
- Easy to adjust the seat and handlebars;
- Dual bottle holders;
- 20-watt speaker; (for trainer instruction and group sessions)
- Has a fan under the screen to keep the user cool as they get warm during a hard workout;
- Ergonomic saddle;
- Comes with 2 x 3lb dumbbells;
- Has two small transport wheels on the front stabilizer that enable it to be tipped up from the rear and wheeled around;
- Good warranty deal, 10 years on the frame, 2-year parts, and one-year labor. A bike should be registered within 28 days to extend the warranty. For payment, the warranty can be further extended.
Who should buy it
People who enjoy exercise cycling in the comfort and privacy of their own home, but who may want guidance from a remote trainer or want to join in group sessions with other indoor cyclists;
People living in a smaller apartment or a house with only a small spare room that can be used as a gym or exercise room;
People who want to use an exercise bike without disturbing neighbors or house partners, as all reviews say that it is very quiet.
What do people say on Social Media?
Facebook – nothing comes up;
“Fitness Brain, Best Spin Bikes”, have chosen this as their No 1 spin bike for amongst other things its excellent ride quality and the fact that, in their opinion, the software and hardware work flawlessly;
YouTube – Daniel Choe shows how the bike is unpacked and assembled;
“Bodyweight Heaven” – the presenter was very keen on the incline/decline feature, liked the quiet drive system, liked the iFIT training package, particularly the choice of training videos. Wasn’t happy with the pedals, and mentioned that the saddle could be swapped for a different one if users didn’t like it, but thought the bike was good overall;
“TreadmillRevuGuru” – gives a very good, detailed review. The presenter thought the touch screen was good even though it is smaller than average, and that it was good for someone with limited space, liked that the bike was very stable, and liked the two small front transport wheels. Liked the variety of rides available through iFIT, e.g. studio rides, road rides, and live workouts liked that outdoor rides could interact with Google Maps. The presenter noted that the bike needs electricity and an internet connection to be fully functional and that users could get a bit of screen wobble when riding hard.
NordicTrack S15i Conclusion
Going by the reviews, this model seems to be popular. It is expensive as a one-off payment but can be purchased in installments over periods of up to 24 months, depending on the customers’ credit score. Despite the price, it is, in the opinion of most reviewers, worth the money for the quality of its ride and its range of tech features.
- 30-Day iFIT Family Membership Included; on-demand workouts on your equipment with Global Workouts and Studio...
- UPGRADED 15” Rotating HD Touchscreen Display streams and on-demand iFIT workouts; IMPROVED HD graphics...
- ENHANCED Automatic Trainer Control; NEW quieter incline motor; -10% to 20% incline; 22 resistance levels; iFIT...
Last update on 2023-12-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API